Christmas Nut Roast
300g parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 clove garlic
100g walnut pieces
90g unsalted cashew nuts
100g pine nuts
Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 medium British free-range organic egg
20g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
handful of cranberries
Sprig of rosemary to garnish
1. Boil the parsnips until soft. Drain parsnips and blend in a food processor with the butter and season with black pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins until soft.
3. Chop the walnuts and cashews in a blender, remove to a large bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, then the cooked onions and garlic, followed by the pine nuts, rosemary and 50g of the fresh cranberries. Then beat in the egg.
4. Mix in the parsnip mash with the rest of the mixture then place it in a 1.5 ltr loaf tin. Bake in a pre-heated oven (180°C, fan 160°, gas 4) for 50 - 55 minutes until firm. Turn out onto a serving dish
5. Warm up the cranberry sauce in a small saucepan with the other 50g of the fresh cranberries. Spoon the sauce over the top of the nut roast and serve with the fresh cranberries and rosemary sprigs garnish.